Influence: The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the outcome itself.
My heart’s desire is to influence others to follow after Jesus Christ. I know many of you have the same passion, too.
The Bible says, “Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it.” Psalm 37:4-5. When we delight ourselves in the Lord, His desires become our desires! When we commit our way to Him and trust in Him, He will do it! Your willingness to influence others for God is from God, and when you commit and trust your desire to Him, get ready for Him to use you because He will!
Below are a few simple ways from God’s Word to influence people for Christ!
- Shine for Jesus! “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father, who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
- Love one another! “A new commandment I give to you that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this, all men will know that you are My disciples if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35
- Pray for opportunities! “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.” Colossians 4:2-4
- Share the Gospel! “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” I Peter 3:15
- Invite others to follow Christ, too! “And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19
CH Spurgeon, the great English preacher of the nineteenth century, was asked once by a young leader, “How can I be used of God to lead people to Christ?” Spurgeon’s answer was brilliant, “Young man, set yourself on fire, and people will come and watch you burn!”
Lord, let our soul on fire for You!